Club News‎ > ‎

Bitter Disappointment for Minors in County Final

posted 30 Oct 2011, 10:02 by Ada Doyle
The Minors played their hearts out for eighty minutes but lost to Bennetsbridge in the County Final on Sunday at Nowlan Park.  The final score was 1.14 to 13 points to Bennetsbridge.  Thomastown were on top in the first half and were 6 points ahead at half time.  The conditions were much better this week than last and the game was fast and exciting from the start when the team captain, Robert O'Hanrahan, scored the first point of the match from a free in the very first minute.  Michael Donnelly scored the first of eight frees in shortly afterwards.  Ten minutes in Tucker O'Hanrahan scored the first point from play.   Bennetsbridge had not scored at this point.  In the thirteenth minute they scored their first of two points in the first half.  The second point followed from them in the nineteenth minute.  Michael Donnelly scored again with another free and this was followed by a point from play from Adrian Burke.  The last three points for Thomastown in the first half were all from Michael Donnelly who put a free over the bar, scored a point from play and took a successful free in the last seconds of injury time.  In the second half Bennetsbridge scorched ahead with a free in the opening minutes and a goal shortly afterwards.  The game became intense as the 'Bridge stepped it up but Thomastown fought back with a two frees and a point from play all from Michael Donnelly.  A few minutes before the full time whistle there was a scuffle for the sliothar in front of the Thomastown goal but they got the ball away.  Further scored from Bennetsbridge brought the score to 1.8 to 11 points at the full time whistle.  There was a brief break before the extra time of ten minutes each way began.  Both sides fought hard for possession but Bennetsbridge pulled ahead with a point which was answered by a free from Michael Donnelly.  The 'Bridge scored again which Thomastown responded to with a goal which was disallowed and when a final free from Michael Donnelly was somehow blocked by Bennetsbridge the game was over in all but name.  The Thomastown Minors worked hard and never gave up - a great team efffort from them all.